Now let me tell you all the things that are wrong with this.
- Conflating Black civil rights movements with fictional white characters (Mystique is played by a white woman, her parents were probably white)
- Mutants don’t have “slave names”, people taken from Africa and enslaved by whites, however, were forced and brutalized into taking Christian/white European names, language, “culture”, and religion
- Mutants may prefer not to be addressed by their given names, but they, again, do not have “slave names”
- Slavery and Black justice movements and cultural consciousness should never be conflated with fictional white characters created by white writers
- Mystique is being used as a metaphor because of the literal color of her skin and appearance…and it would be compelling and acceptable if she was actually Black and not a fictional blue character in a comic book series
I understand what they were going for and this is why its just unacceptable.