Things I consider when deciding if I am for or against explicit sexual language/content in romantic or erotic writing:
- Does it seem to suit the character or is the language just trashy or gratuitous?
- Does it flow or gel with the rest of the book?
- Is the language consistent?
- Is the way sexuality presented “turning me on” or “turning me off” from the characters, the plot, or the story itself? Do I react to it at all?
- Am I uncomfortable with the sexual language and/or sexual situation? Why might they be? What’s good? What exactly is bugging me or grossing me out?
- How does the sexual language/sexual content make me feel as I read it? Do I squirm or sigh contentedly? Does my pulse pick up or do I close the book and wish I’d never laid eyes on it?
- Do I think the language is tactful and tasteful or, again, is it just trashy?